Hair replacement, as the name indicates, refers to a set of treatments that are often used by hair loss patients to cover their thinning heads or shinning, bald thatches. Three most widely used methods of hair replacement include wigs, medicines and hair transplant surgery. Let’s have a detailed look at what these methods are about and what benefits they offer. In the end we will try to conclude which method is the best among all.
Wigs and Hairpieces:
Starting with wigs and hair pieces, these man-made products comprise perhaps the earliest ways that the humans adopted to hide signs of hair thinning and baldness. Hairpieces available today are so refined and customized that sometimes it becomes difficult to differentiate between a wig and natural hair. However, the wearer is always at the risk of being exposed. Besides that you have to get it changed every few months because you cannot wear one hair piece for lifetime. The discomfort that comes with wigs and toupees is another debate.
Medicines for hair loss:
Another most commonly used non-surgical method for hair replacement is through hair growth inducing medicines. Minoxidil and Finasteride are two most popular medicines. The former is a topical application available over the counter, whereas the latter is a prescription oral medicine. Their continuous use stimulates damaged hair follicles to produce new hair. Although hair loss medicines are still used a lot, but last decade has seen an obvious trend of preferring surgical hair restoration over medicines, courtesy temporary results of medicines and a long list of side effects that come with them
Hair Transplant Surgery:
Hair transplant is surgical hair replacement. The procedure surgically redistributes existing healthy hair on an individual’s scalp in an effort to hide any bald patches on the scalp. Surgeons take out the hair grafts from an area of the scalp where healthy, balding resistant hair are in abundance, and plants them to an area with significant hair thinning or bald patches. This redistribution of existing hairs on the scalp allows the patient to conceal the bald areas without increasing the actual number of hairs present on his/her scalp.
Which Hair Replacement Method is better?
Let’s compare hairpieces, medicines and hair transplant surgery to see which option is better and gives more value to its users.
- Onetime expense: Hairpieces and medicines both offer temporary solution and need to be repeated regularly every few months to maintain the results. Hair Transplant surgery, on the other hand, is a onetime procedure.
- Natural results: Results of customized wigs and hair pieces are somewhat natural looking, but they are mostly detectable. Medicines and hair transplant surgery both deliver natural results.
- Long lasting results: As stated above, medicines and wigs do not give lasting results. Results of hair transplant surgery are however permanent.
- Maintenance and care: Hair pieces need the highest level of care and maintenance. Hair grown through medicine also needs regular use of medicines for its maintenance. Hair transplant gives fully natural hair that does not need any special care or extra attention for their survival.
- Harms Existing hair on the head: Wigs, toupees and hairpieces all damage existing hair on the scalp. Medicines and hair transplant surgery do not harm existing hair.
This comparison shows that hair transplant surgery is the best hair replacement method, for it gives permanent hair that does not require extra care or maintenance for its survival. Besides that, it does not have any serious side effects.
Needless to say, Hair transplant is found to be the best solution by most hair loss patients. It is more like a onetime investment. You spend once and enjoy your hair the rest of your life. So, are you ready to have your hair replacement with hair transplant? If yes, fill the form below to book a FREE CONSULTATION now with one of our hair transplant experts.